The Sir Walter Scott Lodge No. 15
Regular meetings 1st Thursday of each month, excluding January
Installation takes place at June meeting
760 Pollen Street Thames
Contact Kerry Doherty
Phone: 07 868 6433
As the year 1870 was drawing to a close, a group of Freemasons who were residing in the Thames Goldfields at that time met in a suitable room in the Wharf Hotel.
The hotel was located in Grahamstown, which was then
the commercial hub of the Thames Goldfields.
The purpose for the gathering of this group was to form a Masonic order.
There had already been one lodge formed in the Thames Goldfields and this was the Lodge of Light, which was opened under the Charter of the Irish Constitution No 454 IC in 1870.
Amongst the group attending the gathering was a very distinguished Gentleman, a Freemason like themselves. The name of this Gentleman was Andrew Beveridge, who was at that time a Provincial Deputy Grand Master, Scottish Constitution.
He was also a Past Master of St. Andrew Lodge, No 418 SC. His advice to his fellow Freemasons at that meeting was to approach the Officers of St Andrew Lodge in Auckland. To assist them the St Andrew Lodge gave them permission to hold a Lodge of Instruction under the St Andrew’s Charter.
The first meeting of the new Lodge was in the Wharf Hotel in September 1870, the R.W. Brother Beveridge presiding, and meetings were held regularly until a dispensation was appealed for and granted. The first Worshipful Master was duly elected and installed on St John’s day, 27th December 1870. The R.W. Brother A Beveridge being the new Lodge’s first Master. In due course a Petition was sent to the Grand Lodge of Scotland asking that the Sir Walter Scott Lodge be granted a Charter of Constitution.
The charter was received on the 3rd February 1873.